The Low Down on the Emotional Causes of Acne and Pimples, and how Reiki and can help.
I so often get asked about acne and pimples and how to prevent or get rid of them. Today I thought I would share with you a little snippet of knowledge based on my experience as a Reiki, Relaxation and Beauty Therapist..
Acne, pimples and any other skin issue you may have (or have previously experienced) is a reflection of what you are feeling. Through my Reiki practise I have come to understand that most illnesses or conditions, including skin conditions, have something to do with unresolved or unexpressed emotions. Our skin is our largest organ and it often provides us with a snapshot, or a looking glass, into what is happening internally.
Pimples in various locations all hold different meanings and connotations and pimples can often indicate an eruption of pent-up emotions. Our emotions are closely linked to our nervous system, and often stress can trigger years of pent-up (or pushed down) emotions to surface, sometimes quite forcefully.
Let’s look at acne in more detail.
Acne, often occurs in puberty, however, it can strike anyone at any age. It is characterised by blackheads or whiteheads, pimples, oily skin, and possible scarring. It primarily affects areas of the skin with a relatively high number of oil glands, including the face, upper part of the chest, and back.
So, what is actually happening physically in acne skin?
- Over-active oil glands – Typically in acne skin, the oil gland is over-active resulting in an excess of oil being excreted onto the surface of the skin.
- Inflammation – There is a particular bacteria called the Propionibacterium bacteria (P acnes) that lives in the pore of the skin and causes swelling, tenderness and inflammation.
- Excess dead skin cells – Acne-prone skin sheds up to 5x more layers of dead skin cells per day, which then become trapped along with oil in the pore of the skin to cause acne.
It’s a combination of these 3 factors that causes acne to develop.
What is happening emotionally in acne skin?
Acne is a way to distance ourselves from others so we won’t be looked at too closely. Often occurring in individuals who have problems loving themselves, and are generally sensitive and withdrawn souls.
Teenagers: Acne commonly occurs in teenagers who ask too much of themselves and are easily ashamed. Acne can also indicate a struggle to please one or both parents, and as teenagers are often in the process of trying to define who they are, they struggle to accept themselves.
Adults: Acne that persists into adulthood indicates a need to change your self-perception. This may be due to issues from your teenage years where you have been repressing old hurts in order to avoid suffering from them. This is especially true of psychological injuries that affected your individuality.
So how does the Reiki Healer work with clients suffering from acne?
As a Reiki healer, when you ask your clients questions, you are not only expressing your concern and interest in your client, but it also shows a high level of professionalism. By thoroughly understanding the issue, you are in a better position to help your clients.
Questions a good Reiki healer should be asking for reflection and understanding:
- How do you others see you?
- How do you see yourself?
- Do they see you the same way you see yourself – if not, what is different and why?
- What happened at the onset of experiencing acne/ pimples?
Remember, acne is your body’s way of helping to free you from the hurts that have (or are) festered inside you. You no longer have to suppress them and it takes a lot of energy to keep the pain of an emotional wound buried. Your body is telling you to love and accept who you are, to see your inner beauty.
If you do Reiki yourself, you can treat the following areas:
Reiki Treatment: Local area being affected by acne/pimples as well as the liver, kidney, stomach, and all your standard head positions.
HOW TO TREAT ACNE AND PIMPLES AT HOME
Acne and pimples are best treated in a holistic manner
- Externally – consistency in a skin routine is a must. Also, make sure you use products that don’t damage your skin with harsh stripping actions. You need to calm your skin down and heal it. My favourite acne skincare brand is real-u
- Internally – avoid processed, sugary and dairy based foods which have all been shown to have an impact on your gut health. This in turn has a direct impact on your hormones, which triggers acne and pimples.
- Emotionally – either do some Reiki on yourself, get someone else to do some Reiki on you, or join a Meditation In Motion Class
Get FREE Reiki based meditations direct to your inbox: